Thursday, January 27, 2011

Flying Bison Chili Cook-Off and Amber Waves of Grain Homebrew Competition

Today's posting is a two parter since there are a couple things going on this weekend that I would like to address.  First off, this Saturday from 11 am to 4 pm, Flying Bison will be having its fourth annual chili cook-off at the brewery with beer tasting and live music.  I haven't been to this yet, but I have heard good things.  Even if you're not a chili person, you should still go since all of the $5 entry fee goes to the Cornerstone Women and Children Shelter.  For more information, check out The Good Neighbor.

Onto part two:  Since I am staring to become a bit more serious about brewing, I decided a good way to build onto my brewing portfolio would be to enter some competitions.  There's no better opportunity to do that than the 15th Annual Amber Waves of Grain Homebrew Competition.  I'm just hoping some of my beer can hold its own.  For $6 an entry, having the professional critique on my beers will be worth it.

Following are the categories (from BJCP) and the beers that I will be entering into the competition:

9D. Irish Red Ale: Rye-rish Red Ale
10A. American Pale Ale: No name as of yet
15B. Dunkelweizen: Bayrischer Dunkelweizen
21A. Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer: All-Grain Pumpkin Ale
21B. Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer: Spiced Fruit Winter Ale

If you're interested in entering this competition, entries can be accepted starting 1/29 and the deadline is 2/12 and judging takes place on 2/25 and 2/26.  Drop off locations in Buffalo are Niagara Traditions Homebrew and Flying Bison.

The American Pale Ale was just bottles so it should be ready in time for the competition.  Unfortunately I do not think the beef on weck will be ready in time.

Primary: Beef on Weck Ale
Secondary: Nothing
Carbonating: Rye-rish Red Ale, American Pale Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment