Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stockade Pale Ale

This is the American Pale Ale I brewed back on January 9th, 2011.  I decided to call it "Stockade" because in my mind, it was a classic American Pale paying homage to one of the older colonial communities in New York, the Stockade in Schenectady.

I was a bit disappointed that I only brewed this as a 2 gallon all grain.  I am thinking that in the future this may be one that I actually brew for a second time, not that my previous beers haven't been worthy of being rebrewed, just the fact that I like to move on to different styles and recipes constantly.

This beer ended up being a great pale amber color, and it doesn't hold a full head, but retains a nice foaming ring around the rim.  The aroma is fairly mild with a hoppy note.  It is slightly sweeter with a light malty flavor, subtle biscuit after taste, and a slightly creamy mouth feel.  There is a medium hop presence with the slight citrusy taste that comes with the cascade hops.

Here is the recipe for a two gallon batch:
3.44 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
6.5 oz Crystal Malt 20°L
0.8 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
0.4 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale

O.G.: 1.050
T.G.: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.2%
Bitterness: 43 IBU
SRM: 7.2

This was just entered in Amber Waves of Grain.  Hope it goes well...

On Deck: Elder Ale (2/13), Belgian Blonde (2/20)
Primary: Sarsaparilla Ale
Secondary: Beef on Weck Ale, Irish Red Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment