Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Widmer Brothers Brewers Reserve #2 - Prickly Pear Braggot

I've tried to become a bit more active using the 33 Bottles of Beer book that Jay got me, but I just cant help the fact that I get wrapped up in drinking the beer rather than rating it.  This beer was one that I picked up from Beers of the World a couple weekends ago, and I couldn't wait any longer to try it.  I have never had a prickly pear beer before, or a pear beer for that matter, so I was walking in without knowing exactly what to expect.  What I did end up getting was an excellent beer that was deceptively alcoholic.



This beer has a very light color, similar to that apple juice, and although it had a great malty flavor and aroma, the head did not last too long and reminded me of the level of carbonation of a sparkling hard cider.  There was not a strong hop aroma or flavor in the beer, but there was a very heavy fruity/estery flavor and an aroma that was reminiscent of apple blossoms, (perhaps prickly pear blossoms, never smelled them before so I'm not sure).

Enough cannot be said about the body, maltiness, and linger of this beer.  The longer you held the beer in your mouth the better.  Over time, the spicy notes traveled from the tip of your tongue to the back of your mouth.  The flavor and the linger lasted for over a half minute.  Sour, bitter, and astringent notes were practically non existent in this beer, and for being listed as 10%, this beer can really sneak up on you since it does not have a strong alcoholic aroma or taste.

On Deck: Chocolate Chipotle Rauchbier (2/27), Chili Lime Pilsner (3/6)
Primary: Elder Ale, Belgian Blonde
Secondary: Nada
Conditioning: Irish Red Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment